Just My Rambling Thoughts

3.09.2006

Smart Upgrade and CCH

After I downloaded the CCH and installed it successfully on my PC, I wanted to create a new Smart Upgrade kit and deploy it to other users. Our server is running 6.5.4 FP2, and I've used Smart Upgrade before for updates, but never a CCH package. I created the package and filled in all the options as I have previously, but when users ran the Smart Upgrade they always were told that there was no update available for their release.

I must have checked the settings a dozen times, refreshed the design of the database, replaced the design of the database, and finally gave up and called support. They had me refresh the smart upgrade cache on the mail server (sucache refresh, in case you're wondering). Finally, Tina at support had me send her a copy of my database and she was able to recreate the issue (hers was working fine). Turns out that in 7.0.1/6.5.6 there's a new setting to say whether the target is 6.5.4/6.0.5 or previous, and also whether the kit is for the Notes client or full client. Getting that new template and applying to the database resolved my issue.

So if you find yourself in my boat, call support and request the new template. Or download 7.0.1 and take it from the install kit.

By the way, to make the smart upgrade install silently, add the optional argument "-noui" in the appropriate field of the Smart Upgrade kit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home